Thursday, February 8, 2018

How Did You Find Out?

How did you find out?
I do frequently get this question, and it is totally a fair one. I would be curious, too, and I do not mind you asking.
Remember in my very first post, I mentioned that I would be talking about breasts? Okay cool you are re-warned.
Or, TL;DR: I found it myself while washing in the shower.

In the lead-up to all of this, I was aware that I have dense, fibrous breast tissue. I also assumed that I had cysts, as my breasts would become very tender and sensitive prior to my period. These are important things to be aware of in terms of checking for breast cancer. Thus, I did try to conduct regular self-checks.

Last June, I found what I thought (hoped) was a cyst. I made a promise to myself that I would keep an eye on it, and I thought it went away-- that is, until late August when I felt what was just unmistakably a hard mass and immediately made an appointment with an obgyn the next day (very grateful that I was able to get in so quickly, since it was a new doc, since we had just moved).

Also, I was so incredibly tired. I had worked three campaigns in the past year, and we moved, so I tried to chalk it up to all of this-- but I knew that this was a depth of tired that I had never before experienced. After Alondra's campaign, I kept saying to people, "I feel like something is wrong." Spoiler: I was right!

One precursor that I did not know was a symptom was that the skin at the tumor site was *incredibly* itchy for an extended period of time. So much so that I told John about it-- it was driving me a little crazy. Turns out that many others with this diagnosis also had that symptom. I am sharing this information so that you know, so that you are aware if this happens to you (God forbid).

The oddest thing was that when I did get my diagnosis, as undesirable as it is, I admit to feeling some relief. I knew that something was wrong. At least now I could do something about it.




From Breast Cancer Charities of America


1 comment:

  1. Wigs with a monofilament cheap brazilian hair bundles is one of the most natural looking cap available. The entire wig may be hand tied, or the wig may have a monofilament top with machine made full lace wigs uk. Be sure to ask before buying. They can be brushed and parted in any direction because the individually hand tied virgin brazilian hair bundles can swivel in any direction. The hair can also be styled by using of curlers, a blow drier, or a flat iron further adding to the many styles that one can achieve. Products are available styled, semi styled or unstyled, depending on the virgin brazilian hair bundles. Often when you buy human hair wigs, you will find that they have between 10 and 20 percent excess hair. This allows the wig to be trimmed and further styled by a professional virgin brazilian hair weave. In some cases it is absolutely necessary to have your products professionally styled before wearing.

    ReplyDelete

What's Up (Some Tough News)

Over the past couple of weeks, I have slowly been sharing my tough news with individual family members and friends. It can be exhausting, s...