Saturday, October 21, 2017

Camp Chemo Update #4: Truly Mostly Normal

Yesterday was Chemo #4 of 16, also known as infusion #1 of Cycle 2 of 4 of Phase I, but you don't really need to keep track of all of that. What's great is that I feel great; not even "mostly normal" but actually normal (sans hair). The infusion itself was my first without any crampy discomfort at all-- a first! (That turned out to be due to a uterine fibroid and not a side effect of the chemo, if you read my last blog post)
There was another younger woman at chemo that I had not seen before (I heard her say she is 35). We are seated fairly close together in the treatment room, so I was able to derive from her conversations that she is on the exact same treatment plan and clinical trial as me (another triple negative person!), and that this was her final infusion. Her chemo buddy was her mother, and I overheard her say something to the effect of it being a breeze compared to the Phase I weekly chemos (Yessssssss!) coming every three weeks was "basically nothing," and she was not having any major reactions to the Phase II drugs of adriamycin and cytoxan.
As she finished her infusion and took happy celebratory photos with the oncology nurse (Nurse S.) before heading out, I started to tear up a bit. I was so happy for her! and she really seemed as though she was in a good mental and physical space. We had not been introduced, but I congratulated her and wished her good luck with her upcoming surgery. I will be her in the not-too-distant future-- this felt so hopeful to think about and to see IRL. Tangible. Doable.
I was also possibly a bit... not jealous, I don't feel like that is the right word, but something in that direction. I want to be done, too. Alas. One step at a time.

Chemo Buddy Feature: John!
John attended camp chemo with me yesterday. He was my first chemo buddy, and is the pinch hitter for any chemo shift (yes I have shifted these out, I am an organizer after all) unclaimed by other friends and family. He is my hero team partner and the loml. He makes me laugh. He makes me tea and vegan lunches and dinners and is ever-vigil about my water intake. Last night he made me stay up too late watching the Astros/Yankees game (in reality, I was wired from steroids so would have been up anyway). He tells me that he genuinely thinks I am hot with a shaved head, and I believe him (and then I tease him that he could use a haircut, too. Which is not untrue.). He is with me wholeheartedly in this strange time of being the most EXTRA I have ever been. While taking my vitals yesterday, I commented to Nurse S. that my heart rate had been up, and without skipping a beat she said, "Well, you are sitting next to that guy, so I am not surprised." We laughed, and then he let me take my Benadryl nap while he ran to True Food Kitchen for lunch (thank you for the gift card, Tracy!!).
John is always up for an adventure, so we are going to hike this afternoon.
I am obviously very much lucky in love and also just plain lucky. Thank you, loml.


Me, tres chic on route to Camp Chemo. 

John and me at Camp Chemo. I'm not sure this showcases his need for a haircut, but just trust me.


Selected Quote:
"Well, you are sitting next to that guy, so I am not surprised." -- Nurse S. 

2 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful you have so much support! You are in my prayers.

    Lynette (friend of your Dad)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynette,
      Thank you so much for reaching out, and for your perfect card! I really appreciate it, and the friendship you have with my dad. I am happy to know you!

      Delete

What's Up (Some Tough News)

Over the past couple of weeks, I have slowly been sharing my tough news with individual family members and friends. It can be exhausting, s...