Sunday, March 25, 2018

My TNBC Birthday Fundraiser-- Thank You!

This week, I held a Facebook fundraiser in honor of my birthday (3/27) to ask for donations to the Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) Foundation to support their research efforts. As you know, I am currently (nearing the end) of my own treatment for this subtype of breast cancer. As you may not know, March is Triple Negative Breast Cancer Month. 

More research needs to be done to boost the rates of survival for TNBC (see below), so I asked my community of supporters to help by contributing any amount they were comfortable giving. Their response? To completely blow my initial goal of $1,000 out of the water in the first 48 hours. Now, I have done some fundraising in my day, so I wanted to see if we could do a total of $3,000 in the week and a half leading up to my birthday. 
WELL, DEAR READER. My birthday is still two days away, and I am so proud and touched by the outpouring of support as we made this goal in just one week! Sixty family and friends generously made donations (this is an average of $50/person) and I'm not crying, you're crying... I want to especially thank my friend Mark M. who brought us home when he contributed a very large amount today, because he wanted to ensure the goal was met. 

Please know how much this means to me. 
You have helped to give me an incredibly special birthday gift this year. 


ICYMI
Why does TNBC have its own month?
  • TNBC is a less common than regular breast cancer (~15% of breast cancer is TNBC);
  • TNBC is aggressive, meaning the cancer cells grow *very* fast; 
  • Women of color are more likely to have TNBC;
  • Younger women tend to have this subtype of cancer, which has often meant it goes undiagnosed for longer (I have heard several stories of women who felt a lump but were told it was probably nothing but to watch it and come back in 6 months, only to then be diagnosed at Stage 4);
  • There is less research on TNBC than of other subtypes of breast cancer;
  • Chemo sometimes does not work for TNBC (it has for me, thankfully!);
  • TNBC does not respond to additional targeted hormonal therapies, meaning there are fewer ways to beat it;
  • Recurrence rates are higher for TNBC in the first 3-5 years (but then are lower than other breast cancers once this benchmark is met);
  • The survivorship rates for TNBC are lower than regular breast cancer (77% vs. 93%).



Thank You!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Up (Some Tough News)

Over the past couple of weeks, I have slowly been sharing my tough news with individual family members and friends. It can be exhausting, s...