Monday, November 27, 2017

On the Importance of New Year Cards

John and I have a tradition of sending out New Year cards, a tradition we broke last year when I just could not muster enough will (energy? happy? goodwill? I may sound petty here but I assure you it was not by choice) to go through the process-- plus, I was unemployed, and it was not a financial priority for us.
As we face the end of 2017, I am thinking through the New Years card question yet again. Circumstances have changed, and yet I still wish to send a New Years card. I am in a better headspace, sociopolitically. How that could be, when one is facing cancer and lives during this Administration, I don't really know. I suspect it has to do with a modicum of surrender. I prefer to have more control over my life, absolutely, and I seek it out; cancer has had me on my heels. I knew before, intellectually, but am now learning more wholly that I can only *actually* control so much. Essentially, I can control (for the most part) what I eat, how and when I exercise, whether or not I meditate or take a walk or a relaxing bath. And of course, likely most importantly, I can control how I react.
Circumstances have changed, and yet I still wish to send a New Years card. This is my way of signaling a new start, and I am a big fan of ceremony as a vehicle for delineation of time and space. At every year's end, it has been historically important to me to do this, and this year is no different. Even though I will still be in the midst of my cancer treatment (just starting the last of four chemotherapy infusions! For those counting along with me), this is a way to honor the past year for what it was, to tell it goodbye and that its time has come to an end, and to allow my cells to soak up the opportunity for new beginning. (Especially the cancer cells-- GOODBYE.)
Circumstances have changed, and yet I still wish to send a New Years card to my friends and family. I adore giving gifts, and I am pretty bonkers over buying the perfect gift for the individual. I think I am particularly gifted (pun intended) at it, too. I am not a woman of large means, however, so a pretty card is a great way to satiate this desire. This year, more than any other year since infancy and childhood, I have needed the help of others. I have actually been downright reliant upon others. I want to be able to thank so many people, to honor their role in our lives, to express deep gratitude for how you have all shown up for us during this time. It is just a card-- but hopefully it will properly convey our love and joy, and readiness for a bright future.

In rereading this post, I can see that I have now really built this whole card thing up... so clearly I am in.


Lolz. Suck it, 2017.














2 comments:

  1. I adore this line "I am a big fan of ceremony as a vehicle for delineation of time and space." And I very much feel the same way. If you want help designing the cards, I would love to do that with you. Thank you for sharing all of this xo PS: this is Pedati, btw, despite what my Google name says, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I hadn't purchased the day before-- an Erin design would have been freaking amazing! Thank you!
      And miss you-- hoping we get together soon!

      Delete

What's Up (Some Tough News)

Over the past couple of weeks, I have slowly been sharing my tough news with individual family members and friends. It can be exhausting, s...