Saturday, October 28, 2017

Camp Chemo Update #5: This is Starting to Feel Redundant

Yesterday's chemo infusion happened! This sentence is indeed worthy of that exclamation point, since I was certain that my neutrophils had dropped below 1.5. Actually, they did-- so I was surprised when Researcher S. told me that I "squeaked by this week," and that my count was at 1.2... so there seems to be some leeway, apparently. What that means for me now is that I am in the "risk of infection" zone, and that I must stay away from germy places and people (Researcher S. always mentions germy children in this warning), at least until Thursday when I have my next labs and we see if the neuts (as Cousin Kate calls them) have indeed fallen to the level of needing the booster shot. Again, that will mean delaying chemotherapy one week as I begin taking the shot that will assist the neuts.
So chemo was fine, although the Taxol again irritated the fibroid, which is highly uncomfortable in the way of cramping and was tamed as cramps often are, with an Advil procured by Nurse S., who also instructed my Chemo Buddy Kelley to distract me by chatting. This team effort was successful and much appreciated. In terms of side effects, so far so good; not feeling nauseous at all today, which is a huge relief from last weekend. I did not go on a hike (or bike) today, as John is in Minnesota getting our winter belongings from storage, but I did take the dog on a longer walk. Even my fatigue seems lower today as compared to last week (yay).

Chemo Buddy Feature: SIL Kelley!
This week's Chemo Buddy was Kelley, my wonderful sister-in-law. Kelley is a force; a ginger, a high achiever, successful career lady budget analyst number cruncher, lover of spreadsheets, runner, super baker and cook, quilter, sewer, highly fashionable, mom to my nephew M., and incredibly kind and generous host to John and me as we unexpectedly stay with her (plus D. and M.) far past our original timeline so that we have extra support during my treatment. She also is very good at raising two of the sweetest cats that I have ever encountered, Pepin and Jax.

Here we are at Camp Chemo! She has great bangs.

Pepin (orange tabby) & Jax (gray tabby)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Up (Some Tough News)

Over the past couple of weeks, I have slowly been sharing my tough news with individual family members and friends. It can be exhausting, s...