Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Chemo is Boring but We Know How to Bring the Party

Hello, friends.
First things first: I did resume chemo last week, after my neutrophils bounced back above 1.0; they were 1.03, which means that while I was successful, I also had to begin the booster shot Neupogen (or Zarxio, for those who like knowing specific brands of cancer-related drugs). This is a "growth factor," which I guess describes the fact that it stimulates the growth of neutrophils, which are found in the bone marrow, which is why one of the most common side effects of using it is bone aches or pain (I have also learned from experience that the muscles get achy as well). While this does not sound fun, it's really just a dull ache akin to growing pains. But minus the growth, although I would not be upset if that happened... I have always hoped to push beyond 5'3." Alas.
I will now receive the booster shot for two days (it could be up to four days, depending on how low the neuts dip) post-chemo infusion, so last weekend I had to go in mid-morning both Saturday and Sunday. Once my insurance okays it, I will be able to self-administer these shots (exciting, right?!) at home, which will save an hour each day in travel, as long as I am willing to stab myself. I can do this, dear reader. I will breathe through it (also, thank you Riely for coaching me via text on this!).

Colds and Such
When I was in elementary school, my mom was taking college courses. One day she brought home an illustration from a biology class that showed the immense amount of germs released per sneeze, and how many germs were on things like doorknobs. I will say that this has really stuck with me, and I am somewhat of a germ-phobe. Imagine that, plus going through chemo and having a challenged immune system... What I am trying to tell you is that I am a lot of fun! I walk around with disinfectant wipes (lemon is a great smell, don't you agree) and anti-bacterial everything. I have even self-quarantined over coughs and sneezes. Thankfully, those enduring living with me respond kindly by getting set up with amoxicillin. Also thankfully, I am getting Zarxio and have a better shot (pun intended) at fending off these germs.

Holiday Prep
This week, in preparation for the thanksgiving holiday, I had my labs today (the booster worked!), and chemo tomorrow with Lisa returning as my chemo buddy. Next week, labs will be moved to Tuesday, and chemo to Wednesday, with-- wait for it-- my mom AND my dad as chemo buddies! This is the part where you fall out of your chair because my parents have been divorced since I was two years old. How freaking amazing is that?! They are traveling here to be with me for the holiday. It is incredible, super sweet, and I will be honest when I say I was a little surprised (they were considering just surprising me by having my dad arrive without prior knowledge... thank you for rethinking that!). It isn't that they do not get along-- thankfully, they do-- it's just really touching. I am really looking forward to showing my dad around-- he has never been to DC!
Also, so much gratitude and love to Kelley and David for opening their home to my family for the holiday. You are incredible people.

Chemo Buddy Feature: Josh
Last week's chemo buddy was my friend Josh. I frequently call him Joshy, or pumpkin, but I have known him for more than a decade, so I get to do that. Joshy and I met when we moved into a group house on Euclid St. NW in 2006; I remember when he first walked up to the house and shooed the birds away, emphatically stating, "I hate birds. Ugh." Even though I do not hate birds, I do love when people have strong feelings about everyday things. It was the start of a beautiful friendship, even though the whole group-house thing really imploded.
Josh signed up as chemo buddy and immediately purchased these amazing pink wigs for the occasion. I will be frank, chemo is boring (this whole chemo regimen is pure tedium), but this was super fun, especially when paired with dance party music. Love you, pumpkin!


Don't worry, the pink wig will most certainly make another appearance!


1 comment:

  1. You're an inspiration! Keep on keeping on, sweetie! Big Love your way. Camille

    ReplyDelete

What's Up (Some Tough News)

Over the past couple of weeks, I have slowly been sharing my tough news with individual family members and friends. It can be exhausting, s...