Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Awkward Newbie (My First Lab)

This morning I go in for labs, which is the blood work that needs to be done the morning prior to receiving each chemo infusion. These lab tests monitor my complete blood count (CBC); for white blood cells (WBC), red blood cells (RBC), and platelets; as well as my metabolic panel, which measures kidney and liver function and electrolyte levels.
I have had one lab experience so far, when I went in last week as a prerequisite to admission to the immunotherapy clinical trial. Allow me to regale you with my awkward newbie tale:

Arrive to Lab location with more than five minutes to spare (always a win to arrive early! Avoiding unnecessary anxiety is important.) Check in with very nice and upbeat front desk human, who clearly knows everyone as he greets several individual patients by name, and asks me if this is my first time being there. "Yes," I say, smiling. I sign in and pay my co-pay.
He directs me where to sign in and asks me to take a seat and wait for my name to be called. As a newbie, I head directly to a chair next to a boombox. I love music. How nice.
Very quickly I remember that boomboxes have terrible sound quality. I then realize that all of the other people waiting to be called for their labs have chosen chairs that are nowhere near this cacophony. I think, ah, yes, wise pros... I consider moving seats but decide to wait it out. I am sure I will be called soon.
Twenty minutes go by, people arrive, sign in, and are called. They depart. I continue to wait to hear my name. Employees walk by with their lunches that smell delicious.
Suddenly I realize this boombox has begun to blast Clapton's "Tears in Heaven." I freeze, wondering if I am hearing correctly. (Of course I am, because music.) I then look around wild-eyed to see if anyone else has noticed, but no one meets my gaze. I am awkward so I laugh a little to myself. Eric continues to sing, "Because I know, there'll be no more... tears in heaven."
Fight or flight starts to set in, and when the next person is called and vacates her seat at the end of the row, I bolt for it. It is the farthest away from the bleating boombox. I text John, "Poor soundtrack choices here."
"PATRICIA WELT." A woman, presumably a nurse, is in the entryway.
I say, "Wel-TEE." She says something that sounds closer to this and everyone in the waiting room stares as I bebop my way over to her. (Note: I do understand why my last name is mispronounced and I am not angry about it, but I will correct you if I know we are going to be interacting more than once.) We walk to her station, she asks me my name and birthdate, punches keys on her keyboard, furrows her brow. Since I know I am there to have blood removed from my body, I push up my sleeve and bare it towards her. She swabs it with alcohol, inserts needle, and busies herself with her computer. She makes some frustrated noises at it, so I break the silence (because she did not speak a word to me this entire time. Zero explanation of what she was doing, who she was, what I was expected to do. Nothing.) by asking if she is having computer problems. She nods in the affirmative, clearly exasperated.
My blood is filling up a vial. I look down to my immediate right and see a large biohazard bin of used needles and other gross items. I wonder if that is all from today? I consider asking her, but then decide that I really do not want to know the answer.
The vial is full. She removes it and tells me to hold the gauze on the location tightly as she applies labels. Next she hands me a container and stares at me. I stare back blankly. She says, "I'll need a urine sample. Do you know where the bathroom is?" I do not.
I say, "It's my first time here. I don't know where anything is." She tells me where to go, shouting behind me when I mistakenly turn right too early. I have to walk through the waiting room to reach the bathroom. Everyone stares again and I bebop past them. I smile. I do as I am told and return it to the nurse and take my seat next to her. She is frowning at the computer again. The nurse across from us also appears frustrated about her computer.
"Oh, so this is all computers that are giving you trouble today!" I attempt conversation once more.
"Yes," she says. "We are grieving. We need grief counseling!" She laughs. I awkwardly laugh back, perplexed. I cannot wait to get out of here.
Eventually I realize that she is staring at me. She asks if I know where I am supposed to go next (I do not). She directs me back to the very friendly front desk person who will help me out, and he does.

Suffice to say that right now I am pretty pumped to be heading out the door for today's labs. I am more seasoned now, my friends. I have headphones.

Addendum: Later that day I shared this story with my sister-in-law, K., who asked if they used the chemo port to draw the blood samples. I said, "No. And I didn't want that lady to take my chemo port-virginity, anyway!" Truth. I did not.

Update: Today's labs were much more efficient and I was greeted warmly by the nurse. The music, however, was Clapton again (thankfully could not hear which song since I was clear across the room). John has offered to make them a mixed tape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Up (Some Tough News)

Over the past couple of weeks, I have slowly been sharing my tough news with individual family members and friends. It can be exhausting, s...